Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rome in Two Days

Make sure to check out the tips and tricks of traveling!  Okay, so Rome is a big city as I have said before with tons and tons of history.  But if your like me you don't have much time to spend there and need to see as much as possible in the time that you are there.  So here is a two day guide, my style :)

If you are staying close to the train station or the hotel that I suggested in tips and tricks, I would check in early afternoon and unload your luggage.  Ask the front desk for a map of the city and metro.  I would head straight for the Colosseum, it is about a 15 minute walk.  The Colosseum never fails to impress and one of my favorite sights.  The opening hours are from 9am to 1 hour before sunset.  Once inside the Colosseum I would suggest buying a guide or audio tour (for me has been worth the money every time)!  After a nice tour of the Colosseum settle in for a early dinner close by.  This way you can come back and gaze at the Colosseum all lit up at night, really breathtaking.

If you are not that tired head to the Trevi Fountian by the metro.  Take the Colosseo (line B) to Termini and switch to line A where you will head towards Battistini and get off at Barberini.  I know this all sounds really confusing if you have never used a metro before, but if you have the map in your hands and these directions you will do just fine :)  Or if you are beat from all the traveling head back to the hotel for a great nights rest. 

Getting up early will be essential to your success today. 

I would get to Vatican City first thing in the morning and by metro.  I would start with the Vatican Museums, the richest museum in the world.  It opens at different times year round and with special events.  I would check their website for exact times, but I would try to be there by 8am to wait in line for the opening.  When ending the tour in the Sistine Chapel (very very very amazing art work) make sure to exit the museum via the right rear door.  This will allow you to go directly to St. Peters Basilica, this could save you up to two hours.  However, on special events the exit is closed where you will just have to walk back out and around.  St. Peters is definitely worth the wait if you like seeing gold, bronze and marble.

After Vatican City it could be time for a lunch break after seeing all the amazing art work.  From there I would start walking towards the city center.  Along the way make sure to see Castel Sant' Angelo, Piazza Navona, Piazza Campo D. Fiori (great shopping and food), the Pantheon and the Spanish Steps. 

After this you are going to be ready for a nap on the train. :) If you have any questions don't be afaid to email me.  lindsy_gumb@hotmail.com

P.S.  Jorge Bergoflio of Argentina is the NEW POPE!

Hope all is well! Love from Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment