Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tips, Tricks & Must Do's in Italy

Don't live by these suggestions but they could save your life ;)
  • Don't bring large amounts of the US dollar.  Exchanging from US dollar to the euro will only get you about half of your money back.  For example $100 will get you 55 Euros.  The best way to get money changed to the Euro is by telling your bank ahead of time that you are traveling and you can also check the exchange rate they charge.  You will also need to tell them exactly where you are going and on what dates.  From there you can take a debt or credit card to any ATM and withdraw money.  Every ATM that I have used was capable of changing the language to English. 
  • Buy a English/Italian dictornary before you leave the US.  Small enough that it will fit in a purse or bag.  Make sure it has a few basic phrases too. 
  • Pickpockets are a terrible issue that you face when traveling in Europe.  Whenever I travel I use a waist money belt that I bought from Wal-Mart.  I would highly suggest putting your passport, train/plane tickets, cash and cards into your belt underneath your shirt.  I personal do not carry a purse.  I know 5 people in my program that have been pick-pocketed since we have been here.  They had no idea that it had happened until they tried to buy something later in the day. If you do bring a purse please have your hand on it and in front of you at all times. 
  •  Pack light!!!!  Advice that I have heard from tons of people as well as believe myself.  Bring twice the money and half the clothes.  You are going to want to take home all of the treasures of Italy and let me tell you there is so much that you are going to want to buy. 
  • Think twice about bringing your iphone or expensive smart phone.  I brought my sisters old ipod touch and I am so glad I did.  Before you leave the US you can download texting apps that allow you to text other phones for free if you have WiFi.  Some café s and restaurants have free WiFi along with your hotel or hostel. 
 
The best way to get from city to city is most likely going to be the train.  The train website is:

Trenitalia Link

The link above is in English.  It can be tough to navigate through the website.  Keep patience and you will get your ticket.  

Rome

A great hotel at a great price is Aenea Superior Inn Rome.  It is not a usual hotel by American standards with it being located inside of a residential apartment building.  It is located on the 2nd floor with 15 rooms.  You have your own private bathroom and breakfast in the morning.  Along with a mini fridge, coffee pot and kettle. Very clean and well kept.  They also have free Wifi which is very important if you are traveling with only a ipod or computer. 

Aenea Superior Inn Rome Link


Tomorrow I will be posting: "How to see Rome in two day!" 





No comments:

Post a Comment