Sunday, February 10, 2013

Padre - Father

I almost couldn't sleep last night because I was so excited and a little nervous :) This morning  I needed to walk about 25 minutes to the train station to catch a shuttle bus to the airport to pick up my DADDY! After finally getting to sleep I never heard my alarm go off, but I still woke up in time for a quick bowl of cereal and was out the door.

I first stopped at a tobacco shop near my apartment to buy the bus ticket, well he didn't understand what I was saying and said that I needed to just go to the train station.  So I quickly walked the 25 minutes to the train station to find a very large area and very many people moving in about 50 different ways.  Culture Shock set in a bit this morning!  I tried to ask a few people about directions or where to find the shuttle, no luck. 

Side Note (Regular people here do not talk to strangers on the street and I mean they do not talk to you at all and walk in a different direction.  People that will talk to you on the street are either trying to sell something to you or steal your wallet, so generally the public doesn't speak to strangers.)

After running around to a few shoppes and frantically looking for the shuttle I saw a blue bus that had aeroporto scrolling across the top! So I ran to the bus as fast as I could, and whoop whoop it was going to the airport.  Payed 6 Euros and was on the way to pick my dad up! I was about an hour early and then his flight was delayed by another hour.  

I had to sit and watch other people arrive and meet their family's....this almost brought me to tears.  There is something about distance making the heart grow fonder.  Everyone was so excited to see their family and friends.  Italian greetings were happening left and right (Ciao's & kisses on each cheek)!  

Finally after two hours I saw my Dad walking through the exit.  I was waving and almost crying with excitement and guess what?  He didn't even recognize me...I think we wasn't planning on not seeing me until after another checkpoint or maybe I just look so European already. :)

We had a great day.  I gave him a tour of Florence, took him to Fiesole (best view of Florence and monks remember), Gusta Pizza, chocolate festival (they had chocolate makers from all over showing off their skills), and we bought chocolate, wine, cheese, and olives! And for supper we went to Pitti Cafe.  

My dad is now fast asleep and snoring...haha I just love him! :)

After Gusta Pizza!

Dad & The Ponte Vecchio!

And Dad in front of the Duomo!

And Him & Me.

Just hamming it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment