Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Rome - Colosseum, Vatican City, St. Peter's Basilica, The Pope...

Being in Rome with my Dad was one of my most favorite times here in Italy.  If you are ever in Italy you must make a stop in Rome.  This trip was a lot of first for my Dad and I.  We took a 1.5 hour night train ride to Rome.  Thankfully our hotel was very close to the train station.  (I planned everything pretty well if I say so myself!)  After finding our hotel and checking into our room we made a night trip to see the Colosseum.  Walking down the steps from the road to the Colosseum was very...words can't describe.  I swear I heard the roar of the crowd from when the Colosseum was in it's prime.  It really is breathtaking at night.

After a short nights rest we woke up and went back to the Colosseum for a glance of the inside of the giant stadium....AMAZING.  We bought a guide book that showed us all the features and history behind the Colosseum.  It is crazy to think that thousands of men and animals lost their lives in that arena for the sake of a good show.

After the the Colosseum we took our chances with a ride on the metro, we only went the wrong way once.  Some really nice people from Tennessee helped us out and got us back on track.  I think from then on my Dad was scared that I didn't know what I was doing.  He would also double check with me and other people that we were on the right line.  But we finally made it to Vatican City, where we went to the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel (amazing work by Michelangelo), and St. Peter's Basilica.  We really lucked out and got in the right line to enter the Basilica.  (Not being catholic we forgot that it was Ash Wednesday)

My dad's favorite experience was getting to see the Pope and being in St. Peter's Basilica among the masses during this historic time.  The Pope now is the first Pope in 600 years to retire and of 8 that have ever retired during the 2000 some years of tradition. 

Our last sight in Rome was Trevi Fountian.  By the time we rode the metro and walked to the fountain it was dark.  Another sight that I would suggest seeing at night.  It is one of the most celebrated fountains and designed by Nicola Salvi.

Dinner was bittersweet as I knew that he would have to be leaving soon.  We took a 3 hour night train back to Florence.  We walked the 40 minutes back to my apartment and then started packing him up to go back to Nebraska.  It was a rough morning, from no sleep and a long week of activities and traveling.  The cab ride to the airport was a tearjerker...it was even harder to tell him goodbye at the airport. Family is so important to me.  I am so thankful for the love and support that I get from my family and my friends.  I know that I will always have to live close to them because they are so important in my life. 

*Pictures to follow (very soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment