Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Capire - to understand

Trying to keep up with this blog is crazy, but I am so glad I am writing it.  I love to look back at old post and its only been one day short of two weeks. 

Today class was much better with it only being a short four hours.  I started to like Claudio again and the Italian language.  After the discouraging test last week and a rough Monday I was in a slump.  But my test today was a true success story, if you work hard it does pay off.  I studied and memorized like crazy yesterday and whoop I did so good, I think! 

I have been learning so much about the culture of Italy and America in class.  Claudio goes through the language lesson very quickly so it gives us time to talk with him at the end of class about Italian customs, government, places and other European countries. 

Interesting facts from Claudio (this may not be accurate)

  •  35 % of young people in Italy are unemployed
  • 12% of the older generation are unemployed
  • The avg. salary is very very very low compared to U.S.
  • The most used word in the world is ok and the second is Coca-Cola.

We have in depth discussions about many events that have been occurring in the US as well as here in Italy.  Obviously the many shootings was first on the list to talk about.  Claudio thinks that it all starts within the family. The mother or father gives the child a phone or computer.  Pays no attention to what they are playing or who they are talking too. 

This leads to children playing games alone in dark rooms for hours on end.  And do you know what kinds of games they are playing?  Games full of people shooting, robbing, raping and getting rewarded for doing those things.  No parent is there to watch the what their child is playing or even in some cases parents play with them.  This is a problem.

My Views
Claudio is so on point.  This is an epidemic in our country.  I don’t believe that video games are the only reason for mass shootings, but other things as well: Young people all over the world are not taught discipline, respect, hard work and dignity.  I could go on for days and days, but I will stop my rant. :) Okay one more: (Starting to get overwhelming with all 160 students in one hotel.  Many are from very well off families and I think this is just a vacation for them.)  Three days and I am off to my apartment in Florence with 3 other girls (who are awesome)!

I have been having the most wonderful food over the last couple of days:  Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sauce and Sausage, penne pasta with garlic, pine nuts and tomatoes,  different types of cheese with honey & cashews, Gorgonzola Pizza, panna cotta (kind of like flan), dessert pizza with nutella, and of course Vino.  

Tonight I had a cooking class.  Very awesome the food was amazing.  It was like I was on the set of food network...

  • Pappa col pomodoro - Bread Soup.  Back in the day they only used to make bread once a week, so by the end of the week the bread was stale and dried out.  So then they made soup of it.  Start by putting extra virgin olive oil in a pan and adding garlic.  Then adding a few other spices and bread.  Add tomatoes and cook for an hour...one of the best soups I have ever had.  Right up there with the Sandstone’s tomato bisque.  I do have the recipe...can’t wait to cook for everyone when I get back to Nebraska :)
  • Pici all’aglione - Thick, hand-rolled (by me) pasta, like fat spaghetti.  Dough is made only from flour and water.  Then we made a spicy sauce to mix in with the pici.  YUMMMMM!
  • Tiramisu -  Talk about the best I have ever had...also have the recipe.

I am off to study for the big finial on Saturday...

{P.S.  My sister is doing very good.  She is at home in Burwell.  Finally got to chat with her for a bit tonight :)
Got this from my baby sister tonight! She looks so good...she is sooo cute! Love her!
(P.S.S will try to add more photos tomorrow.  The internet is too slow tonight :(

No comments:

Post a Comment