Thursday, January 17, 2013

Oh boy!

I am very tired tonight...it's 12:35 am here and 5:35 pm yesterday in NE (how crazy)!

Today was great.  Claudio helped me on my first quiz in Italy.  He said he wanted everyone to have a perfect score.  I can handle that kind of teacher.  :) I think I am starting to understand the language a little better.  I did order all in Italian last night at dinner.  Whoop, whoop!  I thought I ordered a glass of wine and whoops I ordered a pitcher of wine.  :)

This afternoon I went on a trip to Chianti Sculpture Park with a tasting of typical Tuscan food.  The sculpture park was amazing.  It was located about 40 mins from the walls of Siena up in the hills.  We had to take a very cruvey small road (was very car sick )! But it was well worth it.

The owner himself gave us a tour of the park.  You start on top of the hill and work your way down and then back up.  About every 50 yards there is a new piece of art.  The art is an integration of art and nature.

How they explain the park...
  • Diversity of cultures
  • Represented by artists from all over the world
  • Variety of materials.
  • Each artist has been invited to visit the wood in order to choose a location and subsequently submit a site-specific proposal.
  • This accounts for the harmony of the sculptures with the trees, the sounds, the colours, the light, and other elements of the wood. 
  • In fact, these man-made works do not extend beyond the limits of nature; rather, they integrate with it and enhance it.
Down the hill from the park was his house/gallery.  He lives, works and plays all in one place.  He had such beautiful art in his home as well as in the park.  He had an amazing view of the Tuscan mountains and hills.  His house is also a historical landmark, once a terracotta factory.  

We then had a tasting of typical Tuscan food.  We had bruschetta, cold meats, cheeses, olives, wine and croissants.  Then for a last treat we had oranges.  They where amazing, juicy and the best oranges I have ever had.

 

If you like art please check his websites out:

http://www.chiantisculpturepark.it/en-thepark.htm

http://www.solartgallery.it/

Good night!

P.S.  I am so glad that I was born and raised a country girl and from Nebraska.  I can not even count how many times I am thankful per day.  One point:  learning to pee outside and squat.  Point two:  leaning how to make the best out of a situation.  Point three:  well Nebraska people are just better.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment