Friday, January 25, 2013

Nipote - Nephew

Yesterday in class Claudio was asking us about our families and what they do, their names and ages.  So when it came to me of course I told him that I had a 2 month old nephew, named Brody.  All the girls oouuued and ahhhed.  So then I got my ipod out and showed them a picture of my adorable nephew.  Claudio grabbed at his cheeks and asked how you say that in English...and he was talking about chubby cheeks.  Gosh I miss my family!

Last night we had a very classy going away dinner at Entoeca Italiana (remember from my wine tasting/ the wine museum).  We had big round tables set up in the bunker around all of the glasses of wine on display, a very cool set-up.  Dinner conversation quickly led to me and what I do back in Nebraska.  This dinner convo was a definite confidence builder.  Two of my friends had seen my photography portfolio earlier in the day.  They couldn't stop complementing me on my work and couldn't believe that I also had my real estates license.  (sometimes I still can't believe it myself)  I am so fortunate to be blessed with two very hardworking parents that have taught me to work hard for my dreams.

Today in class we had the verbal and listening test.  Once again I think I did good, but really who knows.  Claudio asked me what my name was, what I preferred to do, how old I was, where I was from and what I liked to eat.  So tonight I tried talking with the waiter, well it kind of worked! HAHA! I ended up asking him "what how his name was" and if he like to dance.  And the response, "Mary and un po"  I really need to practice talking with the locals.  I feel like I will learn and understand so much better than by just writing down exercises from the book.

Tomorrow is a big day! We take the finial written test, catch a bus to Florance, then taxi to our APARTMENT! YAY! It will be awhile before I get another post up, up to 3 days.  We will hopefully get internet in our apartment right away, like I said it's my lifeline :)

A few things about Siena: (I might have already written, not sure, so I will make sure they are down in history)
  • Very small city (55,000 people)
  • Epidemic: Dog poop on the street which is also the sidewalk.  I feel that I had to look down so that I wouldn't step in it thus I was missing the gorgeous architecture.  Have not stepped in it yet (thank goodness)!
  • Siena is known for their pici.  I talked about this already :) Very fat, thick spaghetti.
  • The gelato is amazing - rich creamy goodness.
  • Lots of hills with cobblestones for the streets (Can be dangerous walking)
  • Very fast buses and classy cars.
  • Take your umbrella (My Lorenzo) everywhere with you - you never know when it is going to rain.
  • Over 100 churches 
  • Tons of shops - clothes, purses, scarfs, shoes, boots, belts (NOT GOOD FOR ME)
Wow, my first two weeks in Italy have went so fast.  I have learned so much more Italian than when I got here, made new friends and bought a few new things for my wardrobe :)  Very happy to be moving to Florance tomorrow.  Wish me luck :)

P.S. Keep Sarah in your thoughts and prayers as she goes through the recovering process.  Its tough and not very much fun.  Love and miss my baby sister :)

P.S.S Breaking NEWS! My dad said he is getting internet at their house! Wow, never thought that would happen :)

P.S.S.S Breaking NEWS Part II! There was an earthquake here today about 4 pm, but I didn't feel anything.  Other students said they saw the building shaking.  I think I am just used to the boys next door being rambunctious.   http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/Europe/Quake-rattles-north-Italy-felt-in-Milan-Florence/Article1-1001845.aspx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment