Thursday, January 10, 2013

London

On 16 hour journey across the sea I met some very friendly people.  I sat next to a young man from Las Vegas.  However, he was born in India.  His mother and aunt were sitting just a few seats back, leading them to come and talk to us quite often.  The plane also carried about 60 Norte Dame Students coming to London to study at their sister school (they were still pretty sore from their loss).

Walked off the plane and all I could think of was that Miley Cyrus song.  Hopped off the plane...I'm I going to fit in...so I put my hands up!  Yes, I did all of those things :) also yelling I'm in London B*#&^*!
 
After getting my passport stamped for the first time I walked straight through customs to my driving.  He was a great guy.  Has lived in London for about 15 years and was originally form Portugal.  I quized him over the driving practices, money and what the weather was like.  Turns out they drive on the wrong side of the road, use pounds for currency and its about 5 Degrees Celsius.  
 
Arriving at the hotel I found a bunch of other students that were ready to explore London with me.  It turns out that all 6 women and 2 men knew each other from the east coast, most of them from New Jersey.  This was just a bit intimidating.  One even asked why I had come to Europe, now that made me mad.  Duh, I came to Europe for the same reason you did.  To learn, explore and have fun!  I was starting to worry a little bit. 
 
After walking around London and getting a quick bit to eat in a charming little cafe, I went back to the hotel to catch a cat nap.  In the middle of my nap I got to meet my hotel roommate.  She proved to be very nice.  She is from Kansas City, which is a lot more like NE than Jersey.  She is also traveling by herself along with 4 other women that joined our small group.  They were from Philly, Kentucky,  Chicago and Wisconsin. :)

We had some spicy fun tonight.  We had  wanted to go to a pub but they were all busy and couldn't seat us together.  So we went to a Club Havana.  We had a very nice meal, mine was about 20 pounds which is like 30 American dollars (I think)!  That included a fresh veggie salad, chips (french fries), and a steak with blue cheese sauce on top (YUM)!  I also tried out a few local drinks.  
 
After a very long day I got to facetime with my mom, dad and sister. (love them)  I also gained some very important insight from my best friend Mel...you are there to see the world...to experience new things and soak all the great things you will learn. Not nice girls are not even the first thing you need to worry about. you make friends so easily--you will be just fine with the friend situation.  (Thanks for all the support) :)

Anyways I'm off to bed to get ready for my big day in London tomorrow.  

P.S. We have a beautiful view of the city from our room!  Looking out at all the lights and old buildings.   Now where is my Prince Charming?

No comments:

Post a Comment