Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Palio

So much has happened today that is hard to remember all the way back to this morning.  Walking to school is also a bene (good) thing.  It is just amazing to even be here.  I am really blessed to be here and learning.  Even though it was raining most of the day it didn't bother me.  There is something magic about walking down the cobbled streets in Italy with an umbrella.

Class is definitely not getting any easier.  I did learn a lot about the ristorante (restaurant) today.  I learned all about the verbs, subjects and adjectives that you would use in a ristorante.  This did make it a whole lot easier learning since I LOVE FOOD.  Io ordino bruschetta, pizza e vino.  (I just ordered bruschetta, pizza and wine).

Claudio is such a good person.  He is really passionate about his country and language.  At the very beginning of class he looked straight at me and said something to the effect that if I needed him to slow down he would.  He is getting very good about coming to help when he has assigned a difficult task.

For lunch I stopped by a very cute bakery.  I did order in Italian, however after I ordered I was lost on what she was saying.  I bought a slice of pizza (green olives, sausage, and cheese), and a little creme pie.  :)  Then was rushing back to the hotel to talk with my family and tell them good morning both my sister and dad had very sleepy eyes, where mom was wide awake to go teach school. 

My afternoon was filled with the history of Siena.  I am so glad that I choose to go on that tour.  I learned so much about the city. More about that when I get back from dinner (Ristroante La Finestra)...

Siena is a wonderful city made of walls, gates and arches, narrow, winding alleyways and houses all huddled together,  in no particular order.  Siena was in its prime around 1186.  Siena is split up into 17 different districts.  Each district has its own animal symbol, church, baptism to become a member of the district & church, stalls, and courtyard for summer block parties. 

Siena is famous for Il Palio.  Il Palio is a horse race that takes place every year on July 2nd and August 16.  This famous race has been happening for years and years and years.  The race takes place on their town square.  They pack dirt on top of the bricks while they leave the middle open to let people stand and watch. 

Ten districts are selected to race as it would be too crowd to have all 17 districts race.  Then four days before the race there is a horse lottery.  This if for each district to get a chance at the fastest horse.  Horse have been selected from all over Italy.  Each district then has to pay the jockeys to ride.

After the district has selected its horse they take it back to their own districts stalls where people will watch it night and day until the race.  The day of the race the horse will be brought into the church to be blessed with holy water.  Then everyone dresses up for a magnificent parade. 

The jockeys are allowed to whip and block other jockeys.  The horse alone may win without the jockey.  Many jockeys get knocked down but none have ever died.

Not my photo! Just wanted you to see what it looks like! :)

Learning about Palio really made me feel connected to Siena.  With Burwell and the rodeo, parade and great community pride. 

On the tour we visited many of the districts, but we also got to see one of the most beautiful churches in Europe, Cattedrale di Siena.  It was made of bricks and then marble strips were put on the outside of the bricks to give the stripped affect.  The inside of the church floor was all marble.  Many famous artist have work done in the Cattedrale.  Since I don't have enough internet to upload photos of the church you can check it out here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siena_Cathedral

So funny story for the day.

My umbrella's name is Lorenzo or the brand name of umbrella.  I am very proud of my big umbrella and it just makes me feel so good.  Well, Lorenzo got me into a little trouble.  We were on the tour and walking down a narrow alleyway (also just a regular street here) and a bus came barreling down the street.  As are big group is trying to huddle to the wall.  I can't seem to get over enough.  Lorenzo catches on the bus and is being dragged down the street, so what do I do?  I keep a hold and start running to keep up with the bus.  I soon realize that I can't keep this up, weaving through people and hanging on to Lorenzo who is attached to a bus.  So I let go and boom it falls from the bus and lands on three girls who start to scream and giggle all at the same time. 

Let's just say I laughed so hard I cried.


Cattedrale di Siena & Ravioli stuffed with cheese & spinach topped with meat sauce.  



No comments:

Post a Comment